Oct 7, 06 - Can I go further or faster?

Numbers or no numbers? What is more fun than jump on your bicycle and go for a ride? What about a 60 miles ride? Or 80 miles? Do you care what it took to get there and what is left for the next day? Well one of my problems is that I can’t stay doing the same old thing day after day. So, it is time to organize myself and see if I can go further or faster. Right now I am stuck in a “can't go any further, faster status in regards to my cycling.

I decided to start looking the numbers and follow a self guided regiment for training.
I have couple gadgets to help in this matter (Bike, runner Polar computer). I tried an intervals workout during my “come from work” trip on the river bed. I can report that it helped to maintain my mind occupied in the workout and not stuck to the concrete path! There nothing more boring than riding on the river bed!

Aside from getting my best time for the same distance, I was exhausted. Maybe a good indication that the workout pushes me a bit further. Here is the graph for the interval session. By the way, all those out of range spikes in the reading were cause by the power lines. Make you wonder what happens to the people that live near by!

So what did I learned? Well, I had a hard time keeping consistence. Meaning keeping a pace, my alarms in the Polar computer were always blinking indicating that I was out of range. Most of the time, too fast!

Since I started runing I noticed that runners training articles and books emphasized the importance of keeping a good pace as a mean of using energy more efficient. I have read quite a few articles and half a dozen cycling books and this is very briefly mentioned. Maybe because you ride a bike to go fast and not far! I do not know where this is going to lead me but I had to do something to kill the cycle of getting on a bike to just log some miles!

Until next, have a safe ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home